Saturday, January 19, 2013

Birth of a Legend

April 17, 1964 Flushing Meadows, NY

Debuting at the World's Fair, the Ford Mustang also debuted in dealerships across America, selling 22,000 the first day and more than 400,000 the first year. It's starting price was $2300 and was conceived as the "working man's Thunderbird". 


The same year it debuted, the Mustang appeared on the silver screen in the James Bond movie “Goldfinger.” 


A green 1968 Mustang 390 GT was famously featured in the 1968 Steve McQueen movie “Bullitt,” in a car chase through the streets of San Francisco. 


And of course, who can ever forget the lovely and beguiling Eleanor from "Gone in 60 Seconds"?


Why the stroll down Memory Lane? My very first car, purchased for $2000 in 1983, was a 64.5 Mustang Pony. Someone had horribly assaulted it with brown metallic paint and brown crushed velvet seat covers designed by a drunken Indian. Truly horrible. But it ran like a dream. Poppy took the keys from me and wouldn't give them back until he was satisfied that I could take it apart, and repair anything that broke on the side of the road. I got my only speeding ticket in that car. She was called Baby, because any female name would have sounded odd, but I could croon, "Aw c'mon Baby, pleeeeeeasssee..." and sound pretty sexy.

On January 19, 1987, my brother came home on leave from the Army, "borrowed" Baby, and drunkenly wrapped her around a power pole. He walked away from the wreckage with cuts and scrapes and a concussion. Baby did not survive. I'm still working through these issues. My car history has never returned to that state of cool. A succession of sedans and one pick-up. I now drive Satan's Mini-van (the last 3 digits are "666"). Rest in peace Baby. 


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.gotstang.com/webpages/1997Cobra/1997-cobra-Mustang/1997-cobra/
Not mine, but just like it.

4.6 L 305 HP DOHC 4 speed
In garage under a cover.
Terry
Fla.

Craig M. said...

That chase scene from Bullitt was probably the best of all time (as far as skill, not wrecked police cars.)

rpm2day said...

When I moved up here in the 80's my new neighbor and fellow troublemaker had a 1964-1/2 Mustang. White with black interior, three speed floor shift 289. Sweet, sweet car.
Wife got it in the divorce settlement. :(

hiswiserangel said...

That's just wrong. If I ever get out alive, I don't want anything. Just freedom.

rpm2day said...


Freedom, there is no substitute.

Keep your chin up and take no shit.

Paladin said...

My first car was a 1968. It wasn't a fastback but i loved her anyway. My big Sister had a 65 fastback but it was long gone by the time i could drive. I've always wanted to get another Mustang.

timbo said...

shelby super snake.

850 hp

Drove a shelby gt500 for a few weeks a few years back.
Most fun I've had in a long time. I don't care what it takes, I must have the super snake!

Anonymous said...

Funny thing about this post, a friend and I were talking today at lunch about our old cars. Mine was a '71 Mach I, 351 Cleveland, 4 speed Toploader, cammed to death, ram air, looked just like this. God I miss that car.

hiswiserangel said...

timbo, nice! I loved my little Pony.

da_truth36, that is a really sweet car.

rpm2day said...

I owned a '72 Pinto. My first car, bought it new. I shoehorned a 289 .030 over into it. T3 auto with shift kit, Holley 600, Crane cam, headers and turbo mufflers. Yeehaww.
Smog checks? We don't need no steenking smog checks!

JeremyR said...

Now when you mention gone in 60 Seconds, do you mean the real one or the remake?

JeremyR said...

Loved the original. Had it on VHS but it got swiped. Got another copy on DVD and it went for a walk as well. Blogrolled you BTW. Have a great day!