Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Home on the range


I'm meeting the folks for lunch and bullets today. Taking them to the range this afternoon, and I'm 2/3 excited and 1/3 scared shitless. I'm barely capable of making my own gun decisions, I feel the weight of this responsibility weighing heavy on me this morning. Poppy is retired Army, hasn't held a gun in 20 years since his hunting buddy passed away, but he has an idea of what he wants. Mom has never held a gun. Ever. And she wants to start with Dirty Harry's .44 Magnum. Okie dokie, then.

The range I go to has some great instructors and I feel very confident placing my folks in their hands. I'm just not too sure about unleashing my mom on these unsuspecting heroes. I added the Granny Clampett picture to my sidebar as a tribute to the woman who is mostly responsible for the kickass side of my personality. My strength, resilience and sassitude are all her doing. My sense of humor, red hair and tendency to meet idiocy with sarcasm is her legacy. My unbridled passion for REAL men is her gift (Poppy would call it a curse). So releasing a 72-year-old woman who is just as spicy now as she was 50 years ago on these poor dudes seems a bit cruel. My dad has lived with it for almost 51 years. He is my hero.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

7 comments:

Paladin said...

Good for you, Angel. Between your support and guidance and the knowledge base of the Instructors I'll bet they will be in good hands.

One step at time, then on to the next. That's how its done.

Adrienne said...

"So releasing a 72-year-old woman who is just as spicy now as she was 50 years ago on these poor dudes seems a bit cruel.

Cruel to whom? I think the instructors will love her - and she them.

I'm 67 and resemble that remark. I think I'd really like your mom. ;-)

hiswiserangel said...

Heh, Adrienne, you'd LOVE my mom, and the three of us would probably be asked to leave certain establishments...
We got kicked out of Olive Garden once because she tried to check the freshness of the waiter's, um, breadsticks.

Blue said...

You'll be fine. Keep smiling!

Robert Fowler said...

You have a 6 1/2 inch Model 29 S&W???? I want to go to the range with you.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of 67. This past year I have spent over 40 hours of range time with a wonderful instructor. Made me feel so comfortable. I went on my 67th birthday as a present from my husband.
Shot every pistol he had.
Your mom will do fine. Now spend range time with each other

Ginger (WA State)

hiswiserangel said...

Dad hasn't lost his touch, mom's a pistol, and I'm NEVER sassing my parents again....

Robert, I don't HAVE that gun, that's just the one mom wanted to shoot. She did pretty good with my Sig 9mm, but I want them to try out the .45 (so I can push III Arms). I regret getting mine in 9mm.