Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hot Damn and Pass the Gravy...

Would you do this?



I think the theory is interesting. Normalizing the sight of open carry. How many of you live in an open carry state? Would you feel comfortable enough to do this?

Two Oregon men carrying semiautomatic rifles on their backs caused alarm and even prompted a learning center to go into lockdown on Wednesday, but the men said they were just exercising their Second Amendment right to bear arms in public.
Warren Drouin and Steven Boyce, both 22, were spotted walking around a Portland neighborhood around 2 p.m., their weapons in full view, KATU-TV reported. Police were called, but because Oregon state law permits the open carrying of firearms, the men weren’t breaking any laws.
Drouin and Boyce said they were just trying to normalize the image of legally carrying weapons in public.

9 comments:

Keads said...

I am in a open carry state (North Carolina) and do open carry on occasion.

Several things to ponder if you do.

First is Weapon retention in public. Some crack head may just want to steal it to sell, others may have other more dangerous thoughts and plans.

Second is the fact that I gave up any tactical surprise advantage I had if attacked. They already know I am armed.

Third? I call it the soccer mom "man with a gun" freak out. I may be talking to local LEO if I am out and about. Getting proned out is not on my list of fun stuff to do.

Mitigating factor for me? Since I am usually clean cut and wearing 5.11 pants with a "duty belt" and some sort of oxford shirt when this happens, most of the public thinks "Cop" and does not blink an eye.



hiswiserangel said...

I must be a piss poor soccer mom, because men with guns DO NOT freak me out.

Keads said...

Ah, I live more in a metro area than you and its a bit uh, left leaning.

hiswiserangel said...

Plop my happy ass down in the middle of Manhattan, wouldn't matter. I'm not exactly a cousin-loving hick. ;-)

Damn, there goes the last image of me as a sweet, feminine lady.

K said...

22 year olds - that gives me a bit of hope.

K

Keads said...

LOL! I thought not but well, you know....

Keads said...

Whoops! Nah, me neither. All my cousins in the mountains of southwest Virginia were already spoken for.... No wait.. Exit stage left....

hiswiserangel said...

Oh Keads, ~shakes head~, I'm speechless. And we all know how hard it is to shut me up...

hiswiserangel said...

That was my thought, too, Kerodin. The youth are listening, and they aren't all lost.