Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sealed With A KISS



A day late, but still fun. Forty years ago, yesterday, KISS played their first concert. My earliest memory of KISS was the summer my older brother snuck out of the house through my bedroom window (his had long since been nailed shut by Poppy) to run off with friends to see KISS in Lubbock. He was 16 and I was a tender and dorky 13. My folks were LIVID, and this was the first time I'd gotten in trouble because I didn't rat him out. It was also the first time Bubba didn't look at me with scorn and revulsion. Still didn't keep him from nicknaming me Pippi Porkasaurus.

Anyhoo, I wanted to know what all the hubbub was about, so I listened to some of his records. Yeah, I said records. LPs, vinyl. The good stuff. (I still know how to cue up a song on an album, good times.) I listened to Rock n Roll All Night, and couldn't figure out what was so bad. These were good, responsible young men. And for the next ten years, I could be heard singing:

"I wanna Rock n Roll allllll night..... and part of every day!"

See? Responsible. Only part of every day. They were probably doing chores or homework....or blondes.

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you have made a BIG mistake telling this bunch your nickname. ;)
Terry
Fla.

hiswiserangel said...

Bubba was a star athlete and Mr. Popularity at CHS. He and his friends were the cool kids. Should I add that them calling me that completely undermined my self-confidence and destroyed my self-esteem? That it totally screwed up my body image and made me think I was fat and ugly no matter what the scale said? If you really must call me Pippi, please just drop the Porkasaurus.

My friends and the people who loved and knew me best called me Pinky. ;-)

timbo said...

Now you've gone and ruined it!

First you throw out this hilarious childhood nickname. Then you go and toss the idea of common decency and respect for the feelings of others into the comments. Spoil sport. ;)

That e-card is very funny!

Kiss - I seemed to be living in kiss free zones while most of my friends were cheering them. Never got it then, still don't. If everyone I knew was approaching the existence of kiss as some sort of "spinal tap" thing, I could dig that. But it has always seemed that folks like them as a legit band. I know, I know, go somewhere else to diss the kiss!

hiswiserangel said...

Sorry, timbo, I know I'm a bitch for not laughing it off and ruining everyone's fun.

And it's okay to diss them. I always thought they were pretty good theater. And I admire any man will to wear high heels and dance in public. :-)

timbo said...

I haven't forgotten the kilt challenge, but heels? Seriously?

hiswiserangel said...

Cowboys do it every day, timbo. :-)

And I have the kilt already picked out....

Anonymous said...

I will NEVER use your nickname. I much prefer Warrior Fluffy.
Kilt and cowboy boots? I don't think so.
Terry
Fla.

timbo said...

Growing up in the west, I have had cowboy boots since I could walk.
If a lady were ever to refer to them as high heels, there is a distinct possibility that she would quickly find the pointy end of said boot, some place where she would rather it not be!

hiswiserangel said...

I'd rather be spanked.