Friday, February 1, 2013

Cue the Outrage

I know this is old news, but I've been a bit distracted this week. Not at my snarky best. Now, for comparative purposes, visualize a well-dressed white pastor and his party of eight at a restaurant, running the poor, barely minimum-wage-after-tips African American waitress ragged with drink demands and obnoxious behavior. The brave, probably uneducated and single parent waitress that resembles Obama's sister, you know if he had a sister who was a waitress, gets the bill with a rude comment and denial of tip.  (Personal note: 18% divided by a party of 8 is 2.25% per person, and trust me she earned it.)

 
But it doesn't end there. The aggrieved waitress shows it to a co-worker who posts it on the internet sparking outrage and shaming the horrible racist pastor. The pastor, incensed over the backlash and claiming the waitress broke some sort of unknown server/diner confidentiality code, demands and gets the waitress's immediate firing. Oh the humanity!
 
Cue the outraged liberal media, cue Obama's plea for generosity towards those less fortunate (wiping a fake tear from the outside corner of his eye), cue Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson/Louis Farrakhan calling for the heads of all white devil pastors. Cue rampant looting and rioting in inner cities and Hollywood banding together in a We are the Waiters music video. You can see it, can't you?
 
But wait, this really did happen. Only this is the waitress:
 
 
And this is the cheapskate pastor:
 
Alois Bell

 
What do you want to bet she voted for Obama and screams to high heaven that the rich should pay their fair share? Cue the American outrage.....

7 comments:

crankyjohn said...

Just in time for black history month!

Grand said...

Linus will be pleased that you photographed the great pumpkin.

Anonymous said...

"Linus will be pleased that you photographed the great pumpkin."

....and it's not even October. ;)

Grand you made me laugh. ;)

Miss Violet

Learning to Golf said...

I get 18% because you and seven of you followers spent 3 hours sitting in my station, taking up space, demanding refill, after refill of coke, spending $4.37 each, and expecting me to wait on you without regard to how busy I was.

I'm happy you give God 10%, but he doesn't have tuition to pay, a car payment, insurance, rent, utilities, and to put up with idiots like you.

I'm sorry you were embarrassed, but you earned it with your entitlement mentality that you try to hide behind the claim of being a Pastor.

Sweet Dreams Princess, may God smile down on you.

Sparo said...

The pastor is an ass.

You might however want to ditch your "personal note" regarding 18% divided by a party of 8.

Percents don't work that way.

You take the meal ticket of each individual and multiply by 18%.

Add each of the 8 results.

You will get the same result as you do when you take 18% of the entire combined meal ticket.

AbbyS said...

Just posted this at GrouchyOld Cripple. Copy n paste here.
Sorry folks, I gotta disagree with this one. A tip is just that - A TIP!!! Did you all happen to notice that the tip was added on electronically? As in, part of the bill? I was always told that it is normal to tip 10%. The customer just got told she had to tip 18% - manditory!! I always over tip, unless I get shoddy service, then I leave 10% or less. As the paying customer it is up to me to determine how much this server gets.

Go ahead and bust on the 'good' Christians all you want, but if there is no advance notice that the gratuity is automatic, then the waitress was WRONG!!! And the good pastor had every right to take it to the management.

~AbbyS

hiswiserangel said...

Abby, I worked as a waitress in several restaurants through college. Every single one has it printed clearly that parties of 8 or more will be charged an automatic 18% (12% back when I was in college). I can't tell you how many times I had groups of 8+ take up a table for a couple of hours of business and bs, only ordering coffee, tea and sodas that require endless filling, and then pull this shit. My outrage was over the sanctimonious Christian hiding behind tithing to justify being a cheapskate and then getting the waitress fired when she was outed. If you've never been a server, you don't understand.

My other protest is the news coverage. If this had been a white pastor and a black waitress, it would have been national news.