Sunday, February 17, 2013

Happy 77th Birthday, Poppy!

Today is Poppy's 77th birthday. I still have an image of him around 40, playing basketball in the driveway with Bubba and his buds. I think that will be the way I always see him. But the truth is, he's older, slower, two fake knees and a mouthful of dentures, gray hair and hearing loss. And still my Poppy. The man who taught me how to break down an engine and put it back better than it was; the man who taught me how to frame a wall, run wiring, drywall, lay tile/carpet/hardwood, hang cabinets, and roof a house; the man who taught me no one should fight harder to save my happy ass than I do; the man who taught me if it's worth having, it's worth working/waiting for. I got my brains and sassy mouth from my mom; I got my kick-assitude from Poppy.

 
Happy Birthday, Poppy!
Love you,
Angel

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you had so many skills! Obviously great work by a great man. Tell him happy birthday from Fla. I just hope I make it another 10 years...
Terry

wirecutter said...

Happy Birthday, Poppy! And thanks for doing a great job raising your daughter.

JeremyR said...

Happy Birthday to Poppy, But I think you got a bunch of smarts from him as well. Hope he gets a whole bunch more.

hiswiserangel said...

Aww. you guys are so sweet. Poppy also beat a lot of common sense in me.

timbo said...

And I thought I taught my daughter some shit! Wow. When a man has a daughter, the thought of them being week and useless scares the hell out of you. A woman needs to be tough, smart, and strong to be safe and successful, and it is apparent that your Dad gave you that gift! May he have many more happy birthdays to come.

rpm2day said...

What Wirecutter said.
And a comment about the common sense comment. My old friend loosened up last weekend and said to me, "Kids make you do unreasonable things that seem reasonable at the time".

MissK said...

Give him Hugs and Happy Birthday wishes from your "Canadian Friend" please... Hope he and your mom get many many more xox <3

Keads said...

Happy Birthday to him!

Brock Townsend said...

Best regards from here.:)

James Butler said...

Happy birthday to the man who taught his daughter to have the right attitude...
;-)

angrymike said...

Happy Birthday to poppy, sure miss mine.......